Add to Calendar
The new year is here! We want to open up 2021 with a great opportunity for an up-and-coming poet, judged by Donika Kelly. This New Voices Contest will offer $3000 to the author of the judge's favorite poem. 2nd and 3rd place will receive $300 and $200 respectively. We're looking to shine a light on newer poets—only authors with no more than two full length collection currently published may submit.
Send us all that hot urge and energy saved up over the ramshackle year of 2020—send us your best. We also warmly encourage poets of all backgrounds, identities and ethnicities to submit. You're welcome here.
About the Judge
Donika Kelly is the author of The Renunciations and Bestiary, winner of the 2015 Cave Canem Poetry Prize, the 2017 Hurston/Wright Award for poetry, and the 2018 Kate Tufts Discovery Award. She teaches at the University of Iowa. The Renunciations will be published in May 2021 by Graywolf Press. You can find more info on the collection here. "Like some sort of oracle, Kelly offers us the words to create our own destinies.”—Oprah.com
- Submissions are open to emerging poets only. No more than two full length collection published by time of submission.
- Unpublished poems only.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- No more than three poems per submission. There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but each new submission requires a new fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your professional bio and a brief introduction.
- International submissions are welcome.
- Submission fee of $20.
- Deadline is February 15, 2021.
- If you have any questions about submissions of any kind or would like to query a current submission, please visit our FAQ page or send an email to: contact (at) frontierpoetry (dot) com
Included Unique Opportunities and Discounts
As a thank you for your support for Frontier, we're able to offer these unique opportunities:
Milkweed Editions is offering $5 off any pre-order of Demos by Benjamín Naka-Hasebe Kingsley. Just use the code included in the confirmation message at checkout. It will be limited for use only from 12/15 - 2/15/2021.
The Poetry School is offering every submitter a 20% off discount code (average of $28 value) to one of their online courses! Head to their platform, find a course you're interested in, and use the code included in the confirmation message at checkout.
Editorial Feedback Option
This option costs $59 and will provide you with two pages of detailed and actionable feedback on a poem of your choice from the submission, including suggestions for future submissions. Our guest editors are paid a significant portion of the fee (at EFA rates) and are all incredibly astute and professional poets.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our partner poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the diversity of our beautiful community. Your voice is valued here.
- Submissions are open to new and emerging poets only (no more than one full-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission. For information about self-published works and pieces published via personal or social media pages, please see our FAQ page below).
- Show excellence in your craft. Bend language, experiment with visuality and form—lay your heart bare on the page. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere. (We want to say congrats!)
- All submissions must be no more than 10 pages and no more than 5 poems.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history.
- Expect 8-12 weeks for a response.
- To view a list of our most commonly asked questions regarding submitting to us, please see our FAQ page.
- New Voices Free – Always a free way to submit and we always pay for the work. We pay new poets $50/poem selected up to $150. Response time is 8-12 weeks.
- Editorial Letter – If you’re interested in knowing a little bit more about what we thought of your poem, utilize this option. When we’ve reviewed your piece we will include 1-2 pages of feedback on your poem including suggestions for revision, where it might be a good fit for publication, and other comments about ways it can be improved. It’s our way of helping you to understand your work better and improve. Our editors are paid a significant portion of the fee, to meet the rates the Editorial Freelance Association recommends for developmental editing.
- Fast Response – It can be hard to wait to hear back, so we've developed a quicker turnaround time for writers who want to hear back within two weeks. There is a reading fee for this category.
Frontier Poetry holds first publication rights for three months after publication. Authors agree not to publish, nor authorize or permit the publication of, any part of the material for three months following first publication. For reprints we ask for acknowledgement of its publication in Frontier Poetry first.