The 2021 Frontier OPEN // $5000
Closes July 18, 2021
In our pursuit to recognize today's best poets, we want to celebrate one outstanding piece of poetry, OPEN to all poets, with a $5000 award and publication, our biggest prize of the year.
Ten finalists will also receive $100 each and all winners will earn publication with Frontier Poetry. The Frontier staff will select the winners and finalists. The winners and honorable mentions will be announced in October 2021.
While we primarily serve as a platform for new writers, this prize is meant to support and elevate the poetry community on the whole. We look forward to offering this annual prize where emerging and established poets are considered in equal measure.
- Submissions are open to all poets.
- No identifying information in the submission document. Our diverse team of readers will read all submissions blind.
- Unpublished poems only.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- No more than three poems per submission. There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but each new poem requires a new submission and fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history and about yourself.
- International submissions are welcome.
- Submission fee of $20.
- If you have any questions about submissions of any kind or would like to query a current submission, please visit our FAQ page or send an email to: contact (at) frontierpoetry (dot) com
Included Unique Opportunities and Discounts
As a thank you for your support for Frontier, we're able to offer these unique opportunities (the discount codes arrive in submittable's confirmation message):
The Poetry School is offering every submitter a 20% off discount code (average of $28 value) to one of their online courses! Head to their platform, find a course you're interested in, and use the code included in the confirmation message at checkout.
The Writing Salon is offering every submitter a 10% off discount code on a writing class. Go to https://www.writingsalons.com/ to find a class and type in the code in the reply during checkout.
Alice James Books is also offering a 25% discount code on any of their pre-orders! Go to www.alicejamesbooks.org to find amazing new work and use the code during checkout.
Editorial Feedback Option
This option costs $59 and will provide you with two pages of detailed and actionable feedback on a poem of your choice from the submission, including suggestions for future submissions. Our guest editors are paid a significant portion of the fee (at EFA rates) and are all incredibly astute and professional poets.
Always open. Always free.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our partner poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the diversity of our beautiful community. Your voice is valued here.
- Submissions are open to new and emerging poets only (no more than one full-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission. For information about self-published works and pieces published via personal or social media pages, please see our FAQ page below).
- Show excellence in your craft. Bend language, experiment with visuality and form—lay your heart bare on the page. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere. (We want to say congrats!)
- All submissions must be no more than 10 pages and no more than 5 poems.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history.
- Expect 8-12 weeks for a response.
- To view a list of our most commonly asked questions regarding submitting to us, please see our FAQ page.
- New Voices Free – Always a free way to submit and we always pay for the work. We pay new poets $50/poem selected up to $150. Response time is 8-12 weeks.
- Editorial Letter – If you’re interested in knowing a little bit more about what we thought of your poem, utilize this option. When we’ve reviewed your piece we will include 1-2 pages of feedback on your poem including suggestions for revision, where it might be a good fit for publication, and other comments about ways it can be improved. It’s our way of helping you to understand your work better and improve. Our editors are paid a significant portion of the fee, to meet the rates the Editorial Freelance Association recommends for developmental editing.
- Fast Response – It can be hard to wait to hear back, so we've developed a quicker turnaround time for writers who want to hear back within two weeks. There is a reading fee for this category.
Frontier Poetry holds first publication rights for three months after publication. Authors agree not to publish, nor authorize or permit the publication of, any part of the material for three months following first publication. For reprints we ask for acknowledgement of its publication in Frontier Poetry first.